Monday, September 25, 2006

Pregnancy update

This past weekend, Richard and I attended childbirth classes. I think I can safely say that we both had a good time. We were one of four couples. The other couples included the hippie couple, the 2 doctors, and the high-risk couple. Everyone was so sweet! Anyway, here are a few things that we learned in class.

1. Induction = 50% chance of having a c-section. (Guess talking my doctor into inducing on the 23rd is out.)
2. If I reach 8cm without getting an Epidural, I don’t get one. (Must get to the hospital early.)
3. Wait time in OB receiving at Wiser can last up to 2 hours.
4. Newborns only have to be bathed 2-3 times a week. (I’m not following this one.)
5. It is important to have “Preggie Pops” available for nausea.
6. Eat and shower before heading to the hospital.
7. Personalize your experience. (I will be making a labor and delivery mix on my iPod.)

I went to the doctor today. (Haven’t dilated anything yet and we do not expect Syd’s arrival this week.) When my doctor was measuring my stomach, Sydney was poking her but in the air. So I am assuming she gets the “showing her butt” trait from me. Then the doctor checked Syd’s heartbeat and said “She’s just laid back and mellow.” My reaction to that was, “Great. She’s going to be just like her daddy.”

4 comments:

Trey said...

Laid back? Mellow? That's not the sound of baby that's ready to be born! It sounds like someone's been too nurturing from outside the womb. Get mean with her and see if that gets her riled enough to start the check-out process. :) Am I doing this so I can selfishly get to see pictures of Sydney sooner? Yes I am.

Middle School Survivor said...

I don't think we are going to have an early bird. :( One thing I forgot to put in our list: Pregnancy can last up to 42 weeks without induction. That's 10 1/2 months! I'm trying to be patient, but I have the same attitude about her arrival as you do...HURRY UP!!

Maggie said...

Yeah, about the whole nine months thing?

Anyone who can do math can figure out that 40 weeks ain't nine months. Duh. Forty divided by four equals ten. Nowhere, not even in my crazy, non-math-doing-brain, does it come out to nine months. It's ten.

It's a big marketing ploy by Hallmark.

Middle School Survivor said...

ahh yes hallmark. my mortal enemy. you wanna know where romance and kindness in this world have gone? hallmark bought all of that in a hostile corporate takeover and is now selling it all off piece by piece in the form of $1.99 cards. and don't get me started on those christmas ornaments!!!!

richard